Skip to main content

Match Book Note Pads


Here is another craft idea using paint swatch samples...a match book note pad. I love little note pads that are small enough to fit in your pocket. I use them all the time for shopping lists because if I do not have a list god only knows what will end up in my shopping bag with my gold fish memory.

What you will need:
  • Paint swatches
  • Paper
  • X-acto™ Knife or Scissors
  • Ruler
  • Stapler
  • Pencil
  • Bone folder or butter knife
  1. Using a bone folder or the wrong side of a butter knife, score along the bottom edge of the top color block on the swatch. Fold the edge.


    ** Scoring a piece adds a notch to the paper that makes it easier to fold. Place the ruler on the fold line and take the bone folder and run it along the length of the fold. If you do not have a bone folder you can use the back side (the un-serrated edge) of a butter knife. Do not press too hard, you do not want to rip or tear the paper.

  2. Using fig. 2 for reference, measure from the fold line to the bottom of the swatch (A). Divide that measurement in half then add .75" inches to that measurement. Using that number (Measurement B), measure from the fold and lightly mark the swatch.
  3. Score the new marked area and fold. If done correctly, the to flat should fall short of reaching all the way to the bottom to allow for the staple.
  4. Next we are going to measure the folded swatch from the vertical position so we can figure out how big the inside paper should be for the pad. Measure the width and subtract .125" (1/8"). Now measure the height, you will subtract between .125" and .25" depending on how thick you want your book. The more pages you add the shorter the height will need to be.

    Note: I made several books ranging from 12 pages to 20 pages. For the 12 page book I only subtracted .125" from the height, however the 20 page note pad required the inside pages to be .25" shorter. You will have to be the judge for what will work best.

  5. Cut a bunch of papers using the measurements from step 4. Double check that they fit in the folded swatch.

  6. When the paper notes pages are in place staple the papers and the small flap together just below the edge of the top flap.


Comments

  1. Thanks for this tutorial and idea!I will try to make one for myself:))

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to do this! I always have tons of paint chips and paper scrap on hand. good idea!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Leather Earring Tutorial

Why should leather only be used for jackets, shoes and purses? Medium weight or upholstery leather is easy to craft since it doesn't fray or crinkle. These leather earrings are quick, versatile and easy to make. You can even recycle those old purses or jackets that have damage since you really only need small amounts of good leather. I used 4" square leather samples and had plenty left over to make more earrings. Supplies: Leather Leather punch (I bought mine at Michaels Craft store for around $10 but you can also get the from home stores like Home Depot or Lowes) Sharp scissors 2-Large Jump Rings 2-Earring wires Jewelry pliers Download the pattern below, print and cut out shapes. Cut 2-of each shape in the leather of your choice. I used 3 different types of leather, don't be afraid to mix it up. Pile one set of the three shapes on top of each other and carefully punch a whole on one of the ends. I punched the hole about a quarter of an inch away from the end using the sma

Leather Earring Pattern Update

In October I posted a tutorial to make leather earrings . Well for Christmas I revisited this craft and made a few other designs for a few people at my work. This is one of my favorite tutorials because they are so easy to make and the earrings are light and easy to wear. I liked the new designs so much I thought I would share the pattern for them. To view the full set of instructions on how to make these leather earrings, click here . To make one of the two pairs shown, download and print the updated pattern below (the bottom row are the new designs):

Washer Necklace Tutorial

Every time I buy furniture that requires assembly I always left over hardware. I take this hardware and put it in a jar thinking that one day I will need that extra nut or bolt. Well today is that day! Below is a tutorial on how to take those extra washers and make them into a cute necklace. Supplies: Scissors X-acto knife or hole punch Pencil Small piece of scrapbooking paper (you can use the left over scraps for this project) Modge Podge (or something similar) Washer Aleene’s Paper Glaze 36” of ribbon or cord Use the washer to trace a circle on the paper, don’t forget to trace the inside circle as well. Using your scissors cut just inside of the traced line on the outer circle. Note: you want to cut inside of the line and not on it so it fits on the washer and does not overlap the edges. If the hole for your center is close to the same size of a hole punch, simply punch out the center circle. If not use the X-acto knife to cut out the center area. Modge Podge the paper to the washer